A vacation is your time to relax and enjoy life. Vacation is for fun and relaxation. Help save yourself some worry about what could be happening at home by protecting it from theft and damage while you are away.
Here is a checklist we have developed to help you have a relaxing and peaceful vacation.
- Make sure all electrical appliances are turned off.
- Clean the refrigerator of all perishable foods, and take out the garbage.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Arrange to have the newspaper and mail held until your return, or have them picked up by a trusted neighbour.
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed (or snow shovelled) while you are away. Ask a neighbour to set out your trash on collection day and then retrieve empty cans and recycling bins the same day.
- Let a trusted neighbour know you will be away and have them keep an eye on your home. It is a good idea to leave your vacation address and telephone number with a neighbour so you can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Never leave your house key hidden outside your home.
- Set timers on interior lights.
- Make sure to unplug televisions, computers and appliances susceptible to lightning and power surges.
- Advise your alarm company and local police if you will be gone for an extended period.
- Store jewellery and valuable items in a safe-deposit box.
- Arrange for the care of pets.
- Set the heating system to provide minimum heat of 55 degrees.
Compliments of Travelers